Gurnard Village

Gurnard Village is situated about 1 mile west of Cowes, which of course is most famous for the Cowes Week Regatta held each August.

Gurnard Village was once the Hamlet of Gurnet (the original name for Gurnard) and was used as a crossing point to the mainland before Cowes was developed. “The Luck”, now a smallĀ river, was once much bigger and boats could navigate inland.

The Village has grown from about 30 houses in the 1850’s to aboutĀ 1000 now – many of the houses built in the 1800’s were built with bricks made from local clay and produced in a kiln and brick field, which is now the location of the Sailing Club and Village Green.

Gurnard Street Map (1)

Gurnard Bay from the Sea

Picture by Donna Woodward Taylor

 

Picture by Richard Cobden

Picture by Richard Cobden

Picture by Richard Cobden

Picture by Richard Cobden

Gurnard to Thorness cliff walk

 

dingys

 

beach2