At December and January’s meeting of the Parish Council the main topics discussed were:
- Seafront railings. A request was received from the Isle of Wight Council for Cowes Town Council and Gurnard Parish Council to contribute £2000 each towards the purchase, removal and installation of 190 metres of railings between Cowes and Gurnard. Whilst it is essential that these are replaced, Councillors resolved not to contribute as they believe the Isle of Wight Council should replace these on health and safety grounds. They will however be proposing cheaper high quality material and alternative suppliers to be sourced locally to reduce the cost
- A budget and precept of £58,000.000 for 2019/20 was agreed. Funds have been ring fenced to upgrade the toilets and costs are being looked at to replace the current facility with unipod toilets
- The Isle of Wight Council’s draft Island Planning Strategy will be discussed at the next planning meeting on Wednesday 30th January 2019 and Councillors would like to ensure residents know how to comment on the strategy in relation to the proposed housing land allocation for 25 houses on Baring Road
- An observation has been received from a local resident regarding car drivers not slowing down for horses in the village and Councillors would like to request drivers please be more considerate with their speed not only for horses but for pedestrians and cyclists too
- The Parish Council has agreed to take part in the Great British Spring Clean 2019. A date will be arranged for the village soon
- The Annual Parish Meeting will take place at 7.30pm on Wednesday 24th April this year and nominations are being sought for the Parish Award
- The Parish Council currently has three vacancies which they will be filling through co-option. If you are interested in applying for one of these vacancies please provide a written expression of interest outlining why you want to be a Councillor and what experience you can bring to the role by the end of February. Applications will be considered at Full Council on Wednesday 13 March 2019.
FUTURE PARISH COUNCIL MEETINGS
The next full Parish Council meeting will be at 7.00 pm on Wednesday 13 February 2019. Residents are welcome to attend all meetings, which are usually held at the Gurnard Village Hall, Westbrook Lane. Please check the Parish notice board and/or the Parish Council’s website for meeting confirmation and the agendas – www.gurnardpc.co.uk.
QUERIES AND QUESTIONS
If you have any queries or questions that you feel that the Parish Council could help with, please contact the Clerk to the Parish Council: Mrs. Katie Riley, telephone 01983 294606 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.